The word ‘Hinterveld’ is of German origin and literally means ‘The land behind’. It refers to the vast, dry and barren plains behind the Southern Cape escarpment of South Africa where the Angora goat, the source of Mohair, lives and thrives. The Stucken Group originally bought Pure Cape Textiles in 2010, where after it underwent a facelift and name change and ‘Hinterveld’ was born.
Hinterveld is a member of the Stucken Group who have been committed to the premium Wool and Mohair segment in South Africa since 1951. The Group is an over 150 years old, family owned and managed business with its roots in Bremen, Germany. The 4th generation moved to South Africa in 1950 as Wool traders and the Group has grown to become vertically integrated natural fibre specialists at source in South Africa. The vertically integrated nature of the Group includes:
- Stucken & Co: Buying and selling of Wool and Mohair
- Gubb & Inggs: Scouring, carbonising and combing of Wool and Mohair
- Mohair Spinners SA: Spinning
- Speciality Yarn Dyers: Dyeing
- Hinterveld: Weaving of textiles