The word ‘Hinterveld’ is of German origin and literally means ‘The land behind’. It refers to the vast, dry and barren plains behind the Southern Cape escarpment of South Africa where the Angora goat, the source of Mohair, lives and thrives. The Stucken Group originally bought Pure Cape Textiles in 2010, ‘Hinterveld’ was born.
Hinterveld is a member of the Stucken Group that has been committed to the premium Wool and Mohair in South Africa since 1951. The Group is over 150 years old, is family owned and managed, with its roots in Bremen, Germany. The 4th generation moved to South Africa in 1950 as Wool traders and the Group has become vertically integrated in natural fibre value adding in South Africa ever since. The vertical nature of the Group includes:
- Stucken & Co: Buying and selling of Wool and Mohair
- Gubb & Inggs: Scouring and combing of Wool and Mohair
- Mohair Spinners SA (Stucken Yarns): Spinning
- Speciality Yarn Dyers (SYD): Dyeing
- Hinterveld: Weaving and knitting